Freitag, Oktober 06, 2006

Wovor haben wir jetzt Angst??



There are a lot of things to be afraid of these days. Foremost among them naturally Terror with a capital "T". What about Global Warming? How about hurricanes? People other than postal workers going postal...in schools??! We've got sagging economies, corrupt politicians, rising health care costs. AIDS, Ecoli, Vogelgrippe, oh my!! Armafucking-geddon! I logged onto the always-reliable and never-sensationalistic CNN.com for my latest dose of fear, and what was today's Angstpille? Noxious gases from a North Carolina chemical plant. If, as the Onion says, Death is really the ghost of Millenium Past, then Deimos, Greek god of fear, is our man of the hour.
What I find ironic about all of this is that the powers that be always seem to advise us to fear the things that aren't concrete. The Bird Flu that killed, what, a couple hundred people worldwide, should be feared like the plague while today's gas cloud in North Carolina "appears to be quite unalarming"? Hurricane Katrina was just another hurricane, and Global Warming is most certainly not related to the gagillions of tons of gases we've spewed into the atmosphere. AIDS, killing millions an infecting millions of others in Africa gets peanuts compared to our mission of "freedom" against the followers of Mohammed. And this brings us to the daddy of all of these: our cause of causes. "They" are our enemy of enemies. They allegedly felled a few of our beloved skyscrapers, and dammit, they're coming after us.
I personally am terrified, and I can barely go about my daily business because I'm constantly thinking about how I'm going to go up in flames while I'm shopping for my favorite pair of namebrand tennis shoes. In fact, I've stopped eating chicken. I don't leave the house. I just sit in my non-infected box watching Fox News and CNN so I can find out where the next threat is lurking. Forgive my pretentious diatribe, but seriously, what the hell? How can a boardroom of self-righteous, comb-overed, dockers-donning hypocrites pull it off? Ever since I started studying History I realized that the whole linear approach was hooey...we falliable humans do make the same mistakes over and over. I just didn't think we would make the same mistake within a century. It's all well and good to revert back to medieval Feudalism because it was a really long time ago and we forgot how shitty it was, but fearmongering, come on. McCarthy's bad breath is still hanging around the marble halls of the Capitol!
Saddle up the Four Horsemen, ladies and gentlemen. The noble statesmen of the 21st century are merely preparing us for the unspeakable ills that will haunt us in the coming days, months, and years. Hold on to your hats and make sure your shoe laces are tied, because Deimos knows you better not trip while you're fleeing the next threat. Amen, and good night.

3 Comments:

At 8/10/06 15:26, Blogger Der Staubsauger said...

I'd like to add unemployment, staggering debt, the fate of the housing market, the cost of car insurance, the cost of gasoline, traffic, grades, time managment, work-life balance, dental care, health insurance, heart disease, cancer, kidney stones, high blood preasure, cholesterol and the Packers to the list of things to keep us awake at night.

 
At 11/10/06 14:52, Blogger Der Staubsauger said...

I'd rather be depressed than gay.

 
At 11/10/06 16:07, Blogger der Mistfink said...

Morsch, you need a thumbnail pic, don't you. You're not seriously listening to Judy Garland are you? And are you doing any teachers or students yet. This is your last year to make that shit happen. When you do that shit at the Univeristy they fire you.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home

<StuSie