Dienstag, November 08, 2005

StuSik - The StuSie Musik Review

The first edition of the StuSie Musik Review is here. I've been listening to an interesting variety of stuff lately, incorporating the various recommendations of a number of people. The one that's been getting the most playtime on the ol' MP3 player is Muse. Now this might be old news to many of you, I'm really not sure how I hadn't heard any of their stuff, but it's not bad at all. They've been compared to Radiohead a lot, but it seems like everything that's halfway decent these days gets compared to Radiohead, so it's tough to know what that's supposed to mean. For example, some people say a band is like Radiohead when they mean it's innovative and fresh and worth listening to, while others make the same comparison when they mean it's unoriginal (because Radiohead did it first) and whiney and miserable.

What that all boils down to, is that you shouldn't listen to other people's opinions about music ... and I think I've just argued this post out of existence. Fuck it, listen to me anyway.
Muse is three dudes, Matthew Bellamy, Chris Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard, who put forth a very acceptable blend of angst rock and electronica. Sounds Radioheady you say? It is. Check it out if you haven't already. I'd recommend the song "Blackout."

Next, Giles brought a group called Lemon Jelly to my attention, and they definitely take the StuSik award for wierdness. They're a London-based dj duo with a semi-crunchy, often-spoken-word-based, electronic sound. They have a few songs that are catchy little tunes behind nursery rhymes and the like. Sounds stupid, and I guess it is a little, but I like it. Check them out.

Finally, for all those Coldplay fans out there, I just wanted to include this link to a great BBC interview with the band about their early days when they were called "Starfish." It's about a thirty minute interview, but is well worth a listen if you've got the time, and lets face it, I'm pretty sure you've got the time. As I mentioned to Morsch in an email a while back, I had the good fortune to see Coldplay in Minneapolis for free and the show was amazing. The alpine show this summer was also good, but as we all noted, very short. They played for almost 2 straight hours at the Target Center and Chris Martin spent a good deal of time talking about the problems they'd been having as a band and that they'd almost broken up several times. Apparently they've put their differences behind them now, and are united once again. Sweet.

<StuSie